I was sick with a fever last week, and was inspired to write this post after I ingested about 12 cloves of garlic (in one night) and miraculously felt better the next day. I felt terrible that night with THE WORKS… (body aches, fever, headache, sore throat, and mucus galore). It was disgusting. Anyway, I remember my step mom giving me a recipe for some soup that was guaranteed to make me feel better (and it did). The main ingredients were garlic, cilantro, and cayenne pepper… among other ingredients that made it soup, of course. Well I was too weak to chop up potatoes and carrots to make this soup from scratch so I decided to save some time and throw 12 cloves of garlic in some oriental flavored Ramen noodle soup, spiced with cayenne pepper to promote sweating. Needless to say, it still did its job. The fever and body aches were gone and I was ready for work the next day.
I spent the entire next day telling my friends at work about the healing power and health benefits of garlic…so I thought this information was important enough to post. The benefits of garlic are pretty amazing and I found that you can get tremendous healing by consuming 3 cloves of garlic per day. Now, some people think about that and say, “Yuck, a whole clove of garlic? Do you have to eat it raw?” Well, you’ll definitely get the most health benefits out of eating garlic raw, but I don’t think I could handle eating raw garlic everyday… and I’m sure the people I come in contact with on a daily basis wouldn’t appreciate that either lol.
Here are the benefits of garlic that I found:
- Excellent for creating and maintaining overall health
- Helps relieve arthritis pain- Garlic is high in sulfur, which absorbs toxins that may irritate tissue between the joints
- Use against athlete’s foot- known for its anti-fungal properties, its capable of killing the fungus associated with athletes foot
- Promotes the well being of the heart and immune system with antioxidant properties
- Helps maintain healthy blood circulation
- Enhances the body’s immune cell activity (one of garlic’s most powerful benefits)
- A powerful antibiotic, garlic inhibits the ability of germs to grow and reproduce
- FACT: it’s said that 1mg of allicin (an active component found in garlic when its chopped) has a potency equivalent to 15 standard units of penicillin (source).
- Naturally powerful antibiotic effective against toxic bacteria, viruses, and fungus.
- Reduces cholesterol
- One of the components of garlic is geranium, which is an anti- cancer agent
- Blood thinner, similar to the effects of aspirin
- Helps strengthen your body’s defenses against allergies
- Helps loosen plaque from artery walls
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- The best for expelling parasites such as pin worms from the human body
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Reduces the amount of free radicals in the blood stream
- A cure for impotence
- Helps regulate the amount of fats cells formed in the body when taken at early stages
- Prevents heart disease
- Classified as an “anti-cancer” food.
Many home chefs mistakenly cook garlic immediately after crushing or chopping it, added Dr. Kraus. To maximize the health benefits, you should crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. That triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic (source).
•Garlic is toxic to cats and dogs.
•Drinking lemon juice or eating a few slices of lemon will stop bad garlic breath.